Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home Safety.

After many years of being in the construction trades, and 10 years of Inspecting homes, I am still amazed at some of the issues that I find in the homes that I inspect for buyers. While my first instinct is to laugh and ask " what the heck they were thinking ?", I have to constantly remind myself that I am not alone. The prospective buyers are usually right with me and would certainly get freaked out if I say the wrong thing. Its sort of like your doctor looking at a problem you have, and saying " OH my God " Your heart might just skip a beat. So I have to pause and collect my thoughts, and then carefully explain what I see. The reaction they have will depend on the words that you choose, and your level of concern. Your face is a tattletale.

Today I was at a home in the southern part of the state. A nice big Colonial home that has recently lost its occupants to the economy. We have Seen a lot of this lately. Well, the previous occupants decided that they just could not live without a few of the items that were attached to the home and made the decision that they just were not leaving without them. They also decided, that removing the items did not warrant care and caution, which I'm sure they demanded when the items were installed. Lights were removed from landscaping, exposing live wires. A pool heater just could not be lived without. An air conditioning compressor absolutely had to come along for the trip to the new home. Apparently removing an air conditioner compressor is a job only accomplished with a hatchet. Who knew?. At some point a gas line to the pool heater was cut, and of no concern to the removers. Turning off the gas, or closing the valve was just out of the question.

While walking around the exterior of the house shortly after arriving, I detected a not so subtle smell of gas. I took a few more steps and the smell got stronger. I was puzzled. Its February. there is 4 inches of snow on the ground. I'm outside. Why am I smelling gas? This is not good. Where can it be coming from? If there is a leak in the house that smells this strong outside...we have a problem. I was alone. There was no one to share this with. I tried to call the Realtor that was going to be arriving in a minute. No Answer. I thought of calling the Fire dept., But that would not be good. Imagine the looks on the buyers face when they arrive to find Fire trucks in the front of the Home they are about to Buy. That would go over like a Skunk at a lawn party.
Before I had the chance to make a decision, the buyers arrived. I had to explain the situation to them and inform them that we cannot go into the house and turn on any lights until I have had a chance to go in the house and check for a leak. Just then the Realtor arrived and we shared this with Her. She handled It well. We all had, so far. We opened the door and I asked that everyone wait outside and DONT TOUCH ANY LIGHTS. As luck would have it, no gas in the house. Boy was I glad I hadn't called the Fire Dept. The Listing Agent was called and reported to us that they knew about a leak somewhere, But had yet to find it. Thanks for sharing!!! And thanks for leaving the gas ON !!
After a long search, the gas leak was found in the Pool Cabana due to the gently removed gas powered pool heater. I was thought full enough to close the valve, and open the window.
The rest of the inspection was slightly less thrilling, but still worth mentioning. A window tried to smash my fingers. Apparently a top window sash ballancer was broken, A ballancer is the device that makes the window stay up. Someone thought it wise to lift the window up, and latch it in place as if it was normal, and not bothering to label it. I unlocked the window to test it and SLAM!!!! That window came crashing down. My fingers are fine. I learned a long time ago, to NEVER put your fingers near the bottom. I have met windows like this one before.
Sparks came flying out of a light when I turned it on. The installation instructions forgot to mention that when installing the light you must not drive screws into the power wire. A roof leak that could be repaired for around $5.00 was allowed to continue for some time. The water had leaked into the attic, down on the ceiling of the top floor, down the wall of the second floor, through the ceiling of the first floor, and through the light fixture, over the kitchen sink, and actually dripped into the kitchen sink. So then next time you hear a dripping faucet, go check your roof.
Just thought I would share.

1 comment:

  1. amazing, they are doing the same thing here in Miami, letting their homes being forclosed on and then taking everthing they possibly can. Too rude to pay for the house and so rude to rip off the bank a second time by taking everything in sight!

    ReplyDelete